Special Identity Card – SID
The Commission offers a Special Identity Card (SID) to persons with disability in order to help them play an active role in society. A holder of the SID may apply for a number of services aimed at persons with disability.
Persons eligible for an SID:
- persons with disability as defined by the Social Security Act 1987 as amended (please refer to Appendix A, Page 111 of this book);
- persons with permanent hearing impairment to a degree of not less than 70 decibels or who use a hearing aid regularly;
- persons who have permanent total paralysis or serious permanent total malfunctioning of one limb;
- persons who have severe psychological problems that cause disability.
Benefits for SID Holders
Applicants of the Special Identity Card are listed in a Register of Persons with Disability which is maintained by KNPD and sorted by locality, gender, age and different disability categories and unless they wish otherwise, they are informed of the work of KNPD by means of the newsletter, Indaqs (Equal) which KNPD publishes twice a year and by means of other information sent by KNPD from time to time.
Benefits for persons who have this Special Identity Card A person in possession of the Special Identity Card is entitled to the following benefits:
- Free ferry trips by Gozo Channel
- A free transport service to and from state hospitals (by
- Priority for the services given by:
- Free entrance for activities organised by:
Aquatic Sports Association
- Reduced prices for activities organised by:
Bank of Valletta (through the Customer Relations Officer)
Health Centres (Health Division) (through the officer in charge)
Department of Commerce
Drug Control Section (Health Division) (through the officer in charge)
HSBC (Malta) (through the officer in charge)
Mater Dei Pharmacy (through the officer in charge)
Outpatients at Sir Paul Boffa Hospital (through the officer in charge)
Outpatients at Mater Dei Hospital (through the officer in charge)
Voting Centres during elections
Public Registry and Government Notary, Gozo
Gozo General Hospital
Government Notary's Office
Inland Revenue Department
Attorney General's office.
Trade Fair Corporation
Malta Football Association (wheelchair users only)
Malta Basketball Association
Marsa Racing Club.
Malta Football Association
National Pool, Tal-Qroqq
SID Renewal and Termination
All individuals making use of the Special Identity Card and the Blue Sticker are kindly advised to take action and renew the relevant document/service at least one month prior to its expiry. Renewal of these documents is the responsibility of the holder.
In the case of death of the holder, the document must immediately be returned to KNPD. The Special Identity Card is normally issued for a period of ten years for adults. For children, the validity period is shorter. It is important to renew the Special Identity Card since expired cards are invalid. If the Card is lost, the holder must make a declaration on a form issued by KNPD for a new Card to be issued.